I am a government relations specialist and skilled policy and media advisor, community and government representative with proven success achieving results in challenging, dynamic, and political environments. With exceptional interpersonal and stakeholder management skills, and a quality focused approach, I have the confidence to liaise and collaborate with stakeholders at all levels and I enjoy creating, mentoring, and training teams.
With high level problem solving skills, I have a proven ability maximising performance and delivering outcomes that consistently exceed expectations. Results-oriented, I can confidently deal with change and innovation in fast paced environments; and am competent working as part of a team or autonomously.
A Councillor at Maroondah City Council since 2008 I am currently the Deputy Mayor and was Mayor of the City in 2012-2013. I enjoy public speaking and have been a keynote speaker at many events, conferences and workshops.
- Governance – ethical and accountable executive with knowledge of government, governance, Public Administration and Board operations, experience chairing various Committees.
- Local Government Functions – good knowledge of Local Government Act 1989; as well as specifics such as land use planning, environmental management, community development and services.
- Communication – good listening and interpersonal skills, public speaking skills (TV/Radio/Conferences), the ability to accept alternative points of view; and proven ability managing controversy.
- Advocacy/Political Awareness – ability to negotiate, mediate and resolve conflict, particularly with marginal groups; mindful of the dynamics affecting positive outcomes and the importance of mediation.
- Problem Solving – able to get to the bottom of an issue and to think of different ways to resolve it, including advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Teamwork – strong networker with collaborative approach to working with others on panels, in meetings and as part of or chair of various committees.
- Commercial Acumen – good understanding of strategic and financial planning – includes budgeting, financial reporting and Board reporting processes.
- Social Justice – strong social conscious with desire to ensure all people in the community are treated equally, have the right to be heard and are able to participate in public forums and events if they choose.
- Leadership – recruitment, training, coaching and motivation of high performing, multi-disciplinary teams; as well as leading a community (of 108,000 residents) as Mayor.
- Migration Law – education and experience across all aspects of Australian law with proven ability to interpret and analyse legislation, acts and laws.